January 19, 2021
  • 9:38 am Jamestown Public Schools Hosting Virtual College Tours This Week
  • 9:34 am President Trump, Joe Biden To Hold Competing Town Halls This Week
  • 9:33 am 63-Year-Old Man Dies Following Four-wheeler Crash In Cattaraugus County
  • 7:48 am Tony Nominee Kenny Leon on Broadway-Bound Holler If Ya Hear Me: ‘Hopefully, It Will Change the World’
  • 7:44 am Lessons of the Week! Kristin Chenoweth, Chris O’Dowd & More

first_imgPSB approves CVPS alternative regulation planProvides for automatically adjusting rates on a quarterly basis to reflect fluctuating power purchase pricesRUTLAND – The Vermont Public Service Board has approved a Central Vermont Public Service (NYSE-CV) alternative regulation plan designed to better link customer and investor interests, improve efficiency and help control costs.”This construct will help CVPS better serve our customers, improve our credit worthiness, and encourage energy efficiency,” CVPS President Bob Young said. “This is an important improvement in Vermont regulation.”The board order concludes nearly a year of review, and sets the stage for a new system of rate review starting in 2009. It provides for automatically adjusting rates on a quarterly basis to reflect fluctuating power purchase prices, and includes mechanisms to cap cost increases and to share earnings and losses between shareholders and customers.”The decision by the board is a good compromise,” said Steve Wark, director of consumer affairs for the Department of Public Service, the state’s consumer advocate. “It gives the utility the structure it needs, and gives regulators comfort in the oversight process that we need. Overall, consumers will greatly benefit.”Alternative regulation is intended to send customers more accurate and timely price signals, whether costs rise or fall, and create incentives for CVPS to operate efficiently. The PSB and DPS will maintain oversight over the company and its rates through annual reviews and regular quarterly updates of CVPS’s costs and rates.”We find that alternative regulation is in the best interests of CVPS and its ratepayers – a conclusion that both CVPS and the Vermont Department of Public Service have strongly supported in these proceedings,” the board said in its decision. The 56-page order details significant benefits for customers and the company.”The Modified Plan we adopt today provides a number of benefits. For instance, the power cost adjustment mechanism will result in more timely recovery of CVPS’s reasonable power costs, which can vary significantly due to changes in the wholesale market and which comprise nearly 60% of CVPS’s total cost-of-service,” the board wrote. “This should help CVPS achieve an investment-grade corporate credit rating, which, in turn, will enable the Company to attract capital on more favorable terms than it presently does. This enhanced financial posture and lower capital costs will help CVPS as it begins to negotiate for resources to replace the two major long-term contracts for power from the Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Station and Hydro-Quebec that expire in 2012 and 2015, respectively. Ultimately, these positive effects of CVPS’s strengthened financial profile should redound to the benefit of ratepayers in the form of lower rates and more favorable contractual terms in securing Vermont’s long-term power supply beyond 2012.”The Modified Plan provides direct benefits to ratepayers as well. First, the Modified Plan affords the Company a lower return on equity, which in this case will directly lower the costs that CVPS seeks to collect from ratepayers. Second, the Modified Plan institutes an earnings sharing mechanism that offers ratepayers the prospect of additional rate relief as CVPS improves its earnings by operating more efficiently and cost-effectively.”Under the order, CVPS’s return on equity will drop from 10.71 percent to a previously agreed-upon rate of 10.21 percent. The board plans to investigate and set base rates for CVPS in the coming months, which will be implemented sometime in 2009. The alternative regulation plan will be in place through 2011.last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York By Timothy Bolger and Christopher TwarowskiSeveral Suffolk County Police Department members were indicted and pleaded guilty to unspecified charges stemming from the case against James Burke, the disgraced ex-chief who admitted to beating a suspect, recently filed court documents show.The revelation came in a court motion filed Wednesday in state Supreme Court by Garden City-based attorney Bruce Barket, who represents Christopher Loeb, a Smithtown man that Burke beat after police arrested Loeb for stealing from Burke four years ago. Barket is trying to get Loeb’s conviction vacated since Loeb’s confession was coerced and police perjured themselves when Burke ordered subordinates to lie to cover-up the beating, according to the documents.“Numerous other members of the Suffolk County Police Department have been indicted, and have pled guilty, to crimes committed against Loeb in connection with this incident,” Barket wrote in the motion. “Their identities have not yet been disclosed, and their files are currently sealed because the investigation is still ongoing.”Related: Ex-Suffolk Police Chief James Burke Pleads Guilty To Beating Suspect, CoverupA spokesperson for the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York declined to comment. Suffolk police distanced themselves from those involved.“No one currently employed by the Suffolk County Police Department has pled guilty to any crimes in connection with Christopher Loeb,” Assistant Police Commissioner Justin Meyers said in a statement, indicating that the indicted officers and detectives left the force prior to their convictions.Cited within the recent court filing are the testimonies of several Suffolk County Police Department personnel, including detectives Thomas Cottingham, Kenneth Reggensberg, Christopher Nealis, Keith Sinclair, Anthony Leto, and Police Officers Michael Kelly and Brian Draiss.The case dates back to December 2012, when Loeb—then a 24-year-old heroin addict who was on probation for prior thefts—stole a gym bag containing pornography, sex toys, a gun belt, cigars and other items from Burke’s parked, unoccupied police-issued SUV. The next morning, police and probation officers searched Loeb’s home, arrested him for possession of brass knuckles—discovered during a prior probation search more than a month earlier—and took him to the Fourth Precinct station house, where he was handcuffed and beaten in an interrogation room. Burke took his bag back when it was found in Loeb’s home.Wednesday’s motion, while making the case for vacating Loeb’s convictions, gives additional insight into the 2012 incident and the roles of Burke and other Suffolk officers in the attack and subsequent cover-up.“Under the guise of a ‘probation search’ incident to arrest, police conducted a warrantless search at Christopher Loeb’s home to recover a duffel bag containing pornography and a gun belt that had been stolen from Chief of Police James Burke’s car,” it states. “During the search, police tampered with physical evidence, arranged and ‘recreated’ the evidence at the scene for crime scene photographs, and allowed Burke—the purported crime victim—unfettered access to Loeb’s home and the evidence, which Burke was permitted to remove from the scene before it was inventoried.”Related: Retired Suffolk Police Chief James Burke Arrested, Indicted For Civil Rights Abuses & CoverupAlthough Loeb was arrested in his backyard at about 9:35 a.m. on Dec. 14, 2012, the court papers continue, police and probation officers participated in a search of his home, boxing up toys, electronics, identification cards and other property that appeared to be stolen, and packing it into police cars. They concluded the search at about 11:30 a.m. and were about to leave when detectives from the Suffolk County Criminal Intelligence Section arrived inquiring about “police-related” items.The Intelligence Detectives were told that PBA cards were recovered, according to the legal filing, and police ordered all the items seized to be returned to Loeb’s bedroom and the evidence re-arranged throughout the room in an attempt to “recreate the scene,” before being photographed. Chief Burke was “escorted” throughout the house, it continues, and allowed to tamper with and remove evidence, including all his sex toys and porn collection.“At the precinct, where Loeb was kept for the next forty-eight hours without being arraigned, Burke and other members of the Suffolk County Police Department repeatedly punched Loeb in the head and ribs, choked him until he lost consciousness, ignored his requests for counsel, threatened to kill him, and arrest and rape his mother to extract confessions from him, and entered false information into official police logs to conceal their misconduct,” Wednesday’s court filing continue.Subsequently, Burke congratulated those involved, even bragging to others about his attack, later stating it reminded him of his “old days” as a young police officer, and referring to detectives who were present during the assault as his “palace guards.”Burke also summoned to his office all those who’d witnessed his assault, intent on getting everyone’s “stories straight,” states the recent court documents, and telling the witnesses “that they should agree that he merely ‘popped’ his head in to look at Loeb at the precinct, but that otherwise, nothing happened.”Related: Ex-SCPD Chief James Burke Denied Bail in Brutality-Coverup CaseAfter Loeb moved to suppress the physical evidence and his statements as a result of the constitutional violations perpetrated by the police, the motion contends, “half-a-dozen police and probation officers lied under oath at the suppression hearing held before this court, but were found credible, resulting in denial of Loeb’s motions to suppress.”“It was in this posture that Loeb pled guilty to charges that he stole and possessed Chief Burke’s gun belt and ammunition; and even then, he did so while protesting the gross violation of his constitutional rights that had gone unremedied by the court,” it adds.Following a federal investigation into the incident, Burke was indicted in 2015, pleaded guilty in February to violating Loeb’s civil rights and conspiring to obstruct justice before he was sentenced last month to 46 months in federal prison. Loeb is nearing completion of a three-year prison sentence after he pleaded guilty in 2014 to a weapons possession charge in connection with the case.Burke’s admission and the aforementioned indictments of other Suffolk law enforcement members, argues Barket’s motion, renders Loeb’s plea invalid and justifies vacating Loeb’s convictions.Reports of the indictments came a week after a female escort held a news conference to allege that Burke paid her for sex during a drug-fueled Oak Beach house party in the summer of 2011. Burke’s attorney called the claims “false and slanderous.”last_img read more

READ MORE

first_img WATCH US LIVE Associated Press Television News FOLLOW US COMMENT First Published: 23rd August, 2020 06:58 IST Written Bycenter_img SUBSCRIBE TO US Dustin Johnson could have used a finish like this for a record score. The birdie-eagle ending to his round Saturday at The Northern Trust gave him a 7-under 64 and stretched his lead to five shots in the FedEx Cup playoffs opener.Johnson, coming off a remarkable day in which he was 11 under through 11 holes and finished with seven pars for a 60, pulled away from Harris English and Scottie Scheffler with a 20-foot birdie putt on the 17th and a 40-footer for eagle on the closing hole at the TPC Boston.He was at 22-under 191, his lowest 54-hole score by three shots.“I’m in a great position and like where I’m at, but I’m still going to have to go out and shoot a good score,” Johnson said. “You can go low out here and guys are going low every day, especially with the conditions we have — perfect greens, golf course is in great shape and not a lot of wind.”English had three birdies in a four-hole stretch early on the back nine and was tied for the lead when Johnson made his lone bogey of the round on the 13th hole when he failed to get up-and-down from a bunker.English, however, followed with consecutive bogeys when he missed the green well to the right of the water on the par-3 16th, and three-putted from 70 feet on the 17th. He missed a third consecutive putt from 7 feet or closer, the last one for birdie, and had to settle for a 66.Scheffler closed with a birdie to follow his second-round 59 with a 67. He played in the final group with Johnson, just like he did two weeks ago on the final day of the PGA Championship.Even so, they’re five shots behind Johnson, who is going for his second victory of the year and could go to No. 1 in the world — provided Jon Rahm doesn’t finish second — for the first time since May 2019.“Try to make as many birdies as I can and see what happens,” English said.Louis Oosthuizen (68) was seven shots behind, and his best hope now would appear to be moving into the top 70 who advance to the second playoff event next week at Olympia Fields south of Chicago.Tiger Woods predicted Friday there would be low scoring in the third round, and he was right — just not from him or Rory McIlroy, a star pairing for the breakfast hour. Woods birdied the last hole for a 73. McIlroy made two triple bogeys in his round of 74. They get to play again Sunday morning.Johnson will be going for his fifth FedEx Cup playoff victory, and third in this event on a third course. What matters more is how he finishes the season. The FedEx Cup already features some of the best players in golf — Woods, McIlroy, Vijay Singh, Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth among them — and Johnson wants to be on that list.Johnson set the target with four birdies in eight holes before heavy rain moved in and halted the third round for 45 minutes. It also softened a TPC Boston that was getting slightly firmer.He came back and hit to tap-in range for birdie on the 12th, and the had the great finish.Johnson needed a birdie on the 18th on Friday for his first 59, and said he regrets hitting driver off the tee with a shot that tumbled down a small slope into the rough. Lesson learned? Not really. With the rain, he opted for driver again, teed it low and hit this one perfect, setting up a 5-iron to the green and his long eagle putt.Image credits: AP LIVE TV Last Updated: 23rd August, 2020 06:58 IST Johnson’s Big Finish Gives Him 5-shot Lead At TPC Boston Dustin Johnson could have used a finish like this for a record score. The birdie-eagle ending to his round Saturday at The Northern Trust gave him a 7-under 64 and stretched his lead to five shots in the FedEx Cup playoffs openerlast_img read more

READ MORE

first_img Sanctioned: The baseball team will play the JetHawks on Tuesday at 5 p.m. at Clear Channel Stadium in the first meeting between the teams. The game will be played with wooden bats and counts as a sanctioned game for AVC and as an exhibition for the JetHawks. Gideon Rubin, (818)713-3607 gideon.rubin@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl event Chelette said he could not comment on any aspect of the selection process because the school is hiring a full-time, tenure-track faculty member, not just a coach. He would not confirm rumors in community basketball circles that Fullerton College coach Dieter Horton, whose undefeated Hornets won the state title, is among the applicants who will be interviewed today. “We have an excellent pool to choose from, and I’m very excited about what they can bring to our program,” Chelette said. Production: Freshman first baseman Katie Cornelison (Lancaster High) had 14 RBIs over a six-game stretch for the softball team (27-5 overall, 10-0 Foothill Conference). She has 39 for the season and needs just six more this season to tie the school record. Other offensive standouts included sophomore shortstop Tayler Wilson (Paraclete), who was 12 for 22 with five extra-base hits in her past six games, and freshman outfielder Erica Ricker (Quartz Hill) scored 11 runs during that stretch. LANCASTER – Antelope Valley College will soon have a new men’s basketball coach. A selection committee today will interview an unspecified number of applicants for the position and is expected to make a recommendation to the school board by Friday, pending a background check, according to athletic director and departing coach Newton Chelette, who sits on the selection committee. The five-member school board will vote on the recommendation at its next scheduled meeting April 10. The recommendation will require a simple majority. Chelette, who coached the Marauders for 17 years, said the selection committee’s primary criteria for a new coach is “someone who cares about student-athletes and cares about the community and has a passion for winning.” last_img read more

READ MORE

first_img LIVING THE DREAM Welcome to Fulham Football Club, @FabricioAgosto! 🧤 🖊️: https://t.co/9pyVSBwd1p #FABRILOUS pic.twitter.com/dytpQC1dDL— Fulham Football Club (@FulhamFC) July 24, 2018He moved to Turkey in 2016, playing Champions League and Europa League football for Besiktas, and was also voted the best goalkeeper in the Super Lig for the last two years.Fulham vice-chairman Tony Khan said: “He is a tremendous player that we’ve targeted for some time.“His scouting profile and his data profile are both strong, and he has exceptional career credentials including Champions League experience, plus he has worked well with our First Team Goalkeeping Coach Jose Sambade Carreira in the past, so we expect his addition will make us a more complete and competitive football club.”Fabri becomes Fulham’s third new signing since their promotion from the Sky Bet Championship following the arrivals of Maxime Le Marchand and Jean Michael Seri from Nice. Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January “I’m delighted to be at an historic club like Fulham, the oldest club in London. I’m very happy to have the opportunity to be in the Premier League with Fulham,” Fabri told the club’s website.“Everything is very positive for me and I want to take the opportunity to make the most of this goal of being in the Premier League.”Fabri began his career with Deportivo La Coruna and also had spells with fellow Spanish sides Real Valladolid, Recreativo de Huelva, and Real Betis.He is well known to Fulham’s goalkeeping coach, Jose Sambade Carreira, having worked with him at Deportivo. Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade RANKED targets LATEST TRANSFER NEWS 1 targets center_img REVEALED moving on LATEST The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star IN DEMAND Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Fulham have completed the signing of Spanish goalkeeper Fabri from Turkish club Besiktas for an undisclosed fee.The 30-year-old has agreed a three-year deal at Craven Cottage, with the Premier League club holding an option for an additional 12 months. Fabri won the Turkish Super Lig with Besiktas Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summerlast_img read more

READ MORE