Facebook Twitter Google+ After seeing Tyler Lydon score only two points in Syracuse’s season opener, Jim Boeheim was quick to identify the root of the sophomore’s struggles. Lydon had yet to make a shot in three games behind the arc (including two exhibitions), so the head coach’s remedy was simple: Get closer.“He’s more effective when he’s around the basket,” Boeheim said of Lydon after SU’s win over Colgate last week. “He’s not really getting a lot of looks out there, they’re guarding him.”“… He’s got to get on the offensive boards a little bit better and when he gets it down there, he’s got to finish.”By the end of No. 18 Syracuse’s (2-0) 90-46 dismantling of Holy Cross (0-2), Lydon fulfilled every one Boeheim’s words, sinking 6-of-7 shots and totaling 17 points. The first 10 came in direct vicinity of the basket, punctuating a performance rivaled only by Andrew White’s 19 points.Against Colgate, Lydon’s shooting slump reared just feet in front of the Raiders’ bench, as the sophomore whiffed on a pair of 3s. Tuesday night in the Carrier Dome, Lydon found himself repeatedly in the same spot. But this time, he cut. He drove. He moved. Anything to distance himself from a dismal shooting night, and it worked.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“I was trying to get after it on the boards and just play my game,” Lydon said.That meant almost completely abandoning the 3-point shot early, and cheating toward the basket at times against mismatched defenders. It didn’t take long to realize he could easily pierce his way through the Crusaders’ protection, and his first points of the night came on a third-chance play.John Gillon heaved an errant 3-pointer that Tyler Roberson scooped up, and he subsequently missed a short jumper. But there was Lydon, rooted under the basket, standing taller than every defender Holy Cross dispatched to the floor. Lydon elevated and dropped in the basket to equal his production from a game ago, and more importantly, map out a plan to feast inside the rest of the game.Liam Sheehan | Staff PhotographerHe handled a missed alley-oop attempt from Gillon, maintaining the wherewithal to come down with the ball and score on the way back up. He drew a pair of fouls around the hoop, converting on 3-of-4 free-throw attempts. He did almost everything he hadn’t been, and missed only one of his five shots in the first 20 minutes.“He’s going to learn throughout the course of the year,” White said, “when you’re the red X on everybody’s scouting report, you have to be able to find ways to get yourself going. Get cheap buckets and provide what your team needs.”Exiting the tunnel after the halftime, the lone remaining objective for Lydon remained beyond the 3-point arc. He tried only once in the first half, and it was his only shot gone awry. Lydon said last week that his success from deep needed to happen “naturally.” That didn’t mean he couldn’t help himself beforehand, which he did before Syracuse’s Monday practice.Under the watch of assistant coach Adrian Autry, Lydon jogged back and forth between both corners behind the arc. Three team managers shagged rebounds as Lydon consecutively shot a pyramid seven from each corner, meaning he shot and consecutively made seven, six, five, four, three, two and finally one 3 from both spots on the floor.With a solid offensive game already padding is stat line, Lydon’s 3-point work came to quickly fruition in the second half. On a dish from Frank Howard, Lydon heaved a 3 just feet from the far corner he spent most of the time before Monday’s practice in. The shot fell, and Syracuse’s bench rose in celebration.“I’m pretty hard on myself,” Lydon said, “but I try to let it go. I knew my offense was going to come.“… You always think about what happened in the past and you try and move on from it.”If nothing else, that’s what Tuesday’s blowout illustrated: Lydon moved on. Fittingly it was on the day he joined college basketball’s elites on the Wooden Award watch list, and he looked like he belonged. Not only on the list, but as the focal point of Syracuse’s offense. Comments Published on November 15, 2016 at 9:08 pm Contact Connor: firstname.lastname@example.org | @connorgrossman
Atletico’s Antoine Griezmann,Madrid, Spain | AFP | Atletico Madrid reported Barcelona to football’s governing body FIFA over illegal contact made to star forward Antoine Griezmann, Atletico club sources confirmed on Tuesday.“The complaint has been presented for repeated contact between Barcelona, the player and his team,” an Atletico source told AFP.Griezmann renewed his contract until 2022 in June and Atletico consider contact made by Barcelona not only breaks FIFA’s rules, but could also affect the integrity of La Liga.Barcelona lead the league with Atletico their closest challengers six points behind in second.“He is a player under a long contract and this can’t happen. Moreover, the club considers that it could affect the competition where Barca are currently top and Atletico second,” added the Atletico source.Barca were slapped with a one-year transfer ban for the illegal recruitment of foreign minors by FIFA that was served in 2015.Should the Catalan giants be found guilty, they could be handed another ban on registering new players.“We can confirm that we have received a complaint from Atletico de Madrid concerning the said matter,” a FIFA spokesperson told AFP.Barcelona-based sports daily Mundo Deportivo reported on Sunday that Barca’s president Josep Maria Bartomeu had recently met with Griezmann’s family.The Catalan giants are expected to be willing to pay the French international’s 100 million euro ($117.8 million) buyout clause at the end of the season to avoid negotiating with Atletico.Barca’s director of institutional relations Guillermo Amor turned down the opportunity to deny a meeting had taken place later on Sunday after Barca’s 4-0 thrashing of Deportivo la Coruna. “If the paper says it then it is possible it is like that,” Amor told Movistar TV. “There could have been a coming together.”Griezmann, 26, agreed to sign a new contract with Atletico in June after the club had an appeal against a transfer ban rejected.Top scorer at Euro 2016, Griezmann said it would have been “dirty” to walk out on the club when they couldn’t replace him until January.However, Atletico coach Diego Simeone accepted last week that Griezmann’s departure at some point in the future is inevitable.“Of course Griezmann will be able to leave at some point, as Diego Costa, Diego Ribas and Arda Turan have gone,” Simeone told French sports daily L’Equipe.“If a player comes to me and says, ‘coach, I have a chance of a lifetime and want to leave’, and if he’s left everything on the pitch for me like Griezmann, I’ll say, ‘no problem’.”Griezmann has scored 90 goals in 179 games for Atletico since joining from Real Sociedad in 2014 and led Los Rojiblancos to the 2016 Champions League final, scoring twice to eliminated Barca in the quarter-finals.However, he was also caught up in a Twitter storm on Sunday after posting a picture of himself blacked up and mimicking a Harlem Globetrotter basketball player from the 1980s.“I recognise that it was clumsy of me. If I have offended people, I apologise,” he wrote shortly after and deleted the photo after receiving a wave of criticism.Share on: WhatsApp
30 May 2013 England Golf backs new women’s Access event England Golf is backing the launch of a new tournament on the Ladies European Tour Access Series (LETAS). The WPGA International Challenge, supported by the Professional Golfers’ Association, will be played at Stoke by Nayland Hotel Golf & Spa (pictured) on September 26-28 – and the field will include 20 elite amateurs. Nigel Edwards, the England Golf performance director has praised the opportunity for England’s leading women amateurs to gain valuable experience. He said: “England Golf is delighted to be a partner with the LET Access Tour. The Access Series provides a valuable opportunity for our top players as they progress from their amateur career by providing entry to competitive professional events. “Stoke by Nayland will provide a challenging venue and we know the team there will bring experience from their previous support of the European Challenge Tour and Senior Tour and deliver an excellent event for players and spectators alike.” The 54-hole tournament, which is the only UK event on the LETAS schedule, will have a prize fund of €25,000 and total field of 120 players. It will include 20 WPGA members, including the winners of six events and the leading players on a qualifying order of merit. Di Barnard, Tour Director LET Access Series, said: “We are delighted to announce the addition of the WPGA International Challenge to the 2013 LETAS schedule. There is a very strong golfing community in the UK and a large representation of players from this region on both the LET and LETAS.” The PGA’s chief executive, Sandy Jones, commented: “I am very pleased to say that we are presenting the event at Stoke by Nayland, a venue that is well known to us and has partnered the PGA on many past occasions to stage great golf events. “Being within the UK it presents for our elite level women golfers a great chance to progress their tournament careers and I take this opportunity to wish them all good luck and success. ” Situated in a stunning “Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty” on the Suffolk/Essex border, Stoke by Nayland has the experience of staging European Challenge Tour, European Senior Tour and PGA Europro events. Susanna Rendall, managing director of the family-owned Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf & Spa, said: “We feel honoured and privileged to have been selected as the first venue in the UK to hold this prestigious event and very much look forward to welcoming these talented golfers here from all over the world – and to playing our part in helping to promote women’s international golf.”
Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade sits on the sideline against the San Antonio Spurs during the second half in Game 1 of the NBA basketball finals on Thursday, June 5, 2014 in San Antonio. San Antonio won 110-95. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)ATTENTION: THIS IS A SPECIAL OVERTIME REPORT ON THE EXTINGUISHING OF THE HEAT. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE FIRE HAS BEEN PUT OUT AND HERE ARE YOUR TOP TEN REASONS WHY!:10—First of all, if you think I am not the “I told you so” kind of guy…somebody told you wrong! I’ve been telling ya since February that The Spurs were on a mission. Yet, just re-read your Couriers. You’ll see it!:09—The Spurs are the ultimate team…team. Pass the ball quickly to the open man and cut away or go through. Total unselfish behavior.:08—The main reason the Heat lost is because my dad, Zeke, Myron Brown, Mike Booker, Dwayne Woodruff and Fred Crawford all told me I was crazy and the Spurs couldn’t win. Yep, that’s the main reason.:07—Spurs are a better conditioned team. They run and pass a team into submission. Even a younger team.