November 30, 2020
  • 5:30 am Moment iPhone 12 Case with MagSafe features a rugged, dual-compound construction » Gadget Flow
  • 5:28 am Comcast to narrow focus of Comcast Ventures, leading to partner defections
  • 5:25 am NFL to make history with first all-black officiating team as Los Angeles Rams face Buccaneers in Tampa | NFL News
  • 8:00 am H1N1 FLU BREAKING NEWS: 41 more US deaths, Tamiflu resistance, UK vaccine priorities, state deputizes more healthcare workers
  • 7:05 am Benchmarking research of campsites in Croatia

first_imgMany of Comcast Ventures’ best performing investments through the years have been strategic in nature, including CTI Towers, which Melody Investment Advisors acquired earlier this month, said the people. It has become increasingly difficult to compete for targets as more funds, such as SoftBank‘s Vision Fund, General Atlantic and Insight Venture Partners, raise tens of billions of dollars for startups. The last two years have both been record setting in terms of venture dollars invested in U.S. companies, according to The National Venture Capital Association.Refocusing Comcast Ventures on companies that support broadband distribution and streaming video could help Comcast stay ahead of trends while being more disciplined on investments the company understands best.Disclosure: Comcast is the owner of NBCUniversal, parent company of CNBC.WATCH: Venture capitalist Bob Davis weighs in on Big Tech regulation and the future of VC Amy Banse, the head of funds for Comcast Ventures, announced her retirement in September. Dave Zilberman, a 15-year Comcast Ventures veteran, said this week he was leaving for Norwest Venture Partners .When Banse announced her departure, Comcast said CFO Michael Cavanaugh would take over leadership of Comcast Ventures. In the past two months, Cavanaugh and former Comcast CFO Michael Angelakis, who now runs the private investment firm Atairos with capital from Comcast, reviewed the fund’s strategy and decided it’s a better fit within Schwartz’s business development unit, one of the people said.Schwartz was one of the founding partners of Comcast Ventures more than 20 years ago. He will decide if Comcast is better served acquiring companies or making seed, venture or later-stage investments. Comcast will continue to support the existing Comcast Ventures portfolio.- Advertisement – Comcast Ventures, the corporate venture capital firm, is folding into Comcast‘s business development division and shifting its strategy to focus only on strategic investments.Partners were informed of the change this week, according to people familiar with the matter, who asked not to be named because the discussions were private. While Comcast Ventures will continue to operate under Comcast chief business development officer Sam Schwartz, it will no longer invest in a broad array of companies, instead focusing only on startups that can support Comcast initiatives. That change, combined with the fund’s decreased independence from Comcast, will likely lead to a number of partner defections, the people said.“Comcast Ventures has been a valuable innovation pipeline, providing insight into adjacent industries and investment opportunities” a spokesperson told CNBC. “We are aligning our approach to venture investing more closely with our business units and repositioning Comcast Ventures under the strategic business development team at Comcast Cable.  Our business development teams across the company continue to invest in new technology and businesses, which we believe will yield more strategic opportunities and benefits for Comcast and the companies in which we invest.”- Advertisement – – Advertisement –center_img Brian Roberts, Chairman and CEO of ComcastDavid A. Grogan | CNBC – Advertisement –last_img read more

READ MORE

first_img Press Association The Magpies head into Sunday’s pre-Christmas showdown at St James’ Park desperately looking to avoid a fourth successive defeat at the hands of their arch-rivals and intent on righting the wrongs of back-to-back 3-0 home defeats at the hands of the Black Cats with a victory. Pardew’s current squad, despite its cosmopolitan nature, has the most sizeable home-grown contingent the club has been able to boast for some time, and while the manager insists that will not necessarily be a factor in the game, he admits he may have to instruct one or two of the locals to curb their enthusiasm. He said: “If I’m honest, I don’t think it’s a factor in the game, but I will be looking at one or two who maybe get emotionally involved. “Probably the one who worries me the most is Steven Taylor. He wears his heart on his sleeve and he plays like that sometimes in this fixture. “I’ve spoken to him about it. I think this time around he will be a lot calmer and if he plays, he will be in better shape.” Central defender Taylor has been a target for some Sunderland fans ever since he offered a less than complimentary assessment of their squad in a pre-derby interview in October 2012, although he appears to revel in role of pantomime villain. However, both sets of fans and the two clubs have worked hard to try to take some of the poison out of a fixture which has too often boiled over off the pitch in recent times. Bridges have been built in the wake of the MH17 Malaysia Airlines disaster in which Newcastle supporters John Alder and Liam Sweeney were among 298 passengers and crew to lose their lives, with Black Cats fans raising more than £33,000 for a memorial. Pardew, who revealed his players will not be bussed into the ground as they have been for recent derbies, said: “We are trying to get away from all that unsavoury stuff. “They have come across the bridge from Sunderland and you have to pay credit to them for what happened over John Alder and Liam Sweeney. “I would like to think we would meet them there and treat this as exactly what it is – a football match. I’ve tried to follow the pattern of the security, the police and fans and everything said online. “We won’t take a bus to the game this time, we will turn up as normal and hopefully it will be a fantastic football match, although the passion will be no less, the intensity will be no less, which makes it unique in itself, more than any game I’ve ever played in or managed. “Therefore, whatever the result, we will shake hands.” Pardew will hope to shake hands with opposite number Gus Poyet with a smile on his face after having had to swallow the disappointment of home defeat to Sunderland in each of the last two seasons, although he is convinced the current crop of Magpies will not be caught out this time around. He said: “They (Sunderland) are very well organised and average two passes before they score, which tells you that they capitalise if you make a mistake. “If ever there was a template of why they won the games against us, it’s that. They punished us, and we can’t afford to make those mistakes.” Meanwhile, Pardew revealed that midfielder Jonas Gutierrez will play for the reserves on Monday as he works his way back to match fitness following his return from treatment for testicular cancer. He said: “The changing room is now getting changed to a samba beat, with Jonas singing at the top of his voice and walking around naked as normal. It’s great to have him back.” Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has ordered Geordie boy Steven Taylor not to allow the derby atmosphere to get to him as he plots victory over Sunderland. last_img read more

READ MORE

first_img…. body says this ultimate betrayal is going to kill mining industryGovernment and the representative mining association of Guyana are at loggerheads over purported plans to rescind widespread concessions granted to the industry.Natural Resources Minister Raphael TrotmanThe concerns were raised by the Guyana Gold and Diamond Miners Association (GGDMA) on Thursday, when, in a public missive it called on its members to be prepared to mobilise for strong and decisive action to safeguard their livelihood.According to the GGDMA, it “has received highly credible information that the current Government will be rescinding all the concessions granted to miners”.The Association said Finance Minister Winston Jordan was expected to make this announcement in his budget speech (on November 28) which would include measures that would result in the removal of: all Value Added Tax waivers, concessions for fuel and lubricants, concessions for motor vehicles, concessions on spares and parts, concessions on tools and equipment and the non-renewal of the fuel import licences. The Natural Resources Ministry has since swiftly responded, but instead of denying the accusation outright, said “we can state also that the Ministry of Finance is currently engaged in discussions regarding these concessions and other forms of support to the mining sector, including reviewing requests for renewal of these concessions”.According to the response to the mining Association issued by the Natural Resources Ministry, “we urge that the executive of the GGDMA await confirmed information from the Ministry of Finance or the Ministry of Natural Resources before making inaccurate pronouncements that do no one any good”. The GGDMA, in publicly voicing its concerns on Thursday, called the move on the part of Government “the ultimate betrayal of the miners by the APNU/AFC Government and will only serve to make the already difficult industry harder, if not impossible”.It said it was calling on the Government to restore the status quo and return all the concessions granted to miners under the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Administration.The GGDMA said too that the current Government has given no additional help to the industry. “They have provided no new concrete concessions and to date, they have not put in one single road or other infrastructural work that directly benefits the industry.” The Administration has since taken umbrage to this assertion, saying this position was wholly incorrect.According to the Natural Resources Ministry in its response to the GGDMA, in November 2015, agreements were signed between the GGDMA, the Guyana Energy Agency and the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission regarding a number of exemptions from Customs duties on fuel and equipment. These agreements remain in force.“As the period of the agreement signing would suggest, the agreement was signed under the current Administration”, contrary to what was said in the GGDMA missive, according to the Ministry’s release.Regarding the assertions by the GGDMA that the current Government has given no additional help to the industry, has provided no new concrete concessions and to date, has not put in one single road or other infrastructural work that directly benefits the industry, the Ministry maintains those assertions “simply have no basis in fact”.According to the Ministry, it, along with the Public Infrastructure Ministry is currently engaged with members of the GGDMA to address the maintenance and opening up of hinterland roads. The Natural Resources Ministry is adamant the David Granger-led Government places immense value on the contribution of mining to the socioeconomic well-being of Guyana, and especially hails the contributions of small- and medium-scale miners.“The Administration has no intention of turning its back on the miners at this critical time of national development,” the Ministry said in its missive. The GGDMA in its complaint observed that “the gold industry is set to surpass the 600,000 ounces mark this year…Two-thirds of this figure is the direct effort of the small and medium-scale miners…We have produced this much gold without the concessions or tax breaks the foreign companies enjoy.”The GGDMA said it held the view that given the same concessions as the foreign companies “we can produce more than 600,000 ounces by ourselves.” The Association said the proposed backward step, on the part of the Administration “to remove all waivers and concessions, will see a significant decline in the production targets next year and many more miners on the breadline.”According to the GGDMA, “the industry is already suffering and this betrayal is going to kill mining in Guyana…Miners are prepared to take all necessary steps to ensure that the industry survives. We will stand together.”last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgFarmers in Donegal have stopped their pickets following a breakthrough in the long-running beef dispute.Dozens of farmers in Carrigans have been protesting over the last five days, since Monday, outside the Foyle Meats factory.Thousands of farmers in the Beef Plan Movement across Ireland had been picketing outside meat factories for 12 days in a dispute over prices. Last night, both sides agreed to suspend their protests and legal actions immediately.Talks will be held on Monday between both sides, after the intervention of Agriculture Minister Michael Creed.Meat Industry Ireland was threatening to take legal action to prevent further damage to the factories – 14 of which have closed.Eddie Punch, the general secretary of the Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers’ Association (ICSA), welcomed the news. He says: “It gives us space for meaningful talks.“The meat industry has to realise that business, as usual, is not working – and ICSA will be insisting that they come to the table with concrete proposals to address the grievances of our members, and all the other farmers who have stood outside factory gates for the last two weeks”.Donegal beef farmers suspend protests as breakthrough reached was last modified: August 21st, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Jeremy Goyings, Paulding Co.We have gotten little bit of rain but it has been awfully spotty. We got just over an inch and a half in August. If you go to the north edge or the south edge of our farm it has been more like a half-inch or three-quarters.Last week there were tornadoes about three miles to the north and seven or eight miles south. Then another storm brewed up and there were two more tornadoes on either side of us. They took out some houses and barns in the north part of the county. We sat on our front porch and watched the tornado in Cecil about two miles from us. That was plenty close.The three-quarters of an inch we got that night was the most rain we have gotten at one time. Up until that rain things were just hanging on. The crops were doing better than I thought they should be based on the amount of rain we had. After that three-quarters of an inch, stuff perked up. The beans opened back up and have a full canopy again. I hope now they will fill the rest of those pods that they hadn’t dropped. Beans will probably be 10 to 15 bushels off of trend line. I’d be pretty happy to see beans in the 45- to 50-bushel range.Corn is a huge guess yet. You can walk a field and grab ears that look like 175 and you can grab ears that are more like 130. If I am being optimistic, I’d put corn in the 160- or 165-bushel range. We are getting a little tip-back in the corn, but not as much as I would expect for as dry as it has been. The kernels seem like they are going to be small and we were also hurt early by the cold weather that will pull yields back.last_img read more

READ MORE

first_imgNorthern Knights batsman Kane Williamson celebrates after completing his century against Cape Cobras during their Champions League Twenty20 match at Raipur on Friday. Photo: PTIRain took some sheen off Kane Williamson’s record batting display of scoring the fastest ever century in Champions League Twenty20 as New Zealand side Northern Knights defeated Cape Cobras of South Africa by 33 runs under Duckworth-Lewis method in Raipur on Friday.Opening batsman Williamson produced a sensational show as he batted through the innings with a 49-ball 101 not out, the first hundred of this edition, to guide his side to a huge total of 206 for five after being put into bat.Chasing a huge target of 207 for a win, the Cobras struggled to get going and they were 44 for two when rain arrived at the Shaheed Veer Narayan Singh International Stadium.Rain continued and after a long wait, the umpires decided to end the Group B match and the Knights emerged victorious under the D/L method.As five overs had been completed before the rain came, the match was counted as complete and the par score under D/L method at that stage was 77.The Knights kept their winning momentum in the tournament as they had won all their three qualifying round matches.The Cobras run chase began on a disastrous note with their opening batsman Stiaan Van Zyl (0) dismissed in the first delivery of the innings bowled by Trent Boult.The other opener Hashim Amla (20) tried to keep his side on track but the asking rate kept on rising and he fell in the sixth over in his bid to accelerate the innings.advertisementRobin Peterson and Omphile Ramela were batting on 17 and four respectively when rain came in the eighth over, though the Cobras were looking down the barrel at that stage as the asking rate had risen over 12 an over.last_img read more

READ MORE

first_img19Mar House panel votes out Albert’s plan preventing youth e-cigarette usage Initiative bans possession, sales of e-cigs to minors, helps enforce regulationThe House Regulatory Reform Committee today overwhelmingly approved state Rep. Thomas Albert’s safety measure banning the sale of e-cigarettes to minors, as well as possession by individuals under 18.“For each day that passes without critical action, teenagers across the state are exposing themselves to harmful, addictive products capable of bearing long-term health effects,” said Albert, of Lowell. “Michigan is currently one of two states in the country without any regulation banning the possession and sales of e-cigarettes to minors. We must do better. This legislation is all about keeping vaping devices out of the hands our children and prevent a health crisis down the road.”Electronic cigarettes are battery-operated devices that deliver nicotine and flavoring without burning tobacco. Many devices are colorful and designed to look harmless – including a version that looks just like a computer USB flash drive – making them appealing to teens and difficult to detect in schools.The U.S. Surgeon General recently declared youth e-cigarette usage an “epidemic”. In a 2018 Centers for Disease Control survey, roughly one in five high school students reported using such products – up 78 percent from 2017.“This growing epidemic has infested our communities’ K-12 schools, including recent reports of e-cigarette usage by students as early as middle school,” Albert said. “Kids are watching their peers ‘vape’ and assume it’s the ‘cool’ thing to do without knowing the health risks that are associated with these addictive products. Schools and local law enforcement know firsthand how quickly this situation is spiraling out of control. With this vote, we are one step closer to getting this legislation across the finish line and protecting our kids.”The U.S. Food and Drug Administration bans the sale of e-cigarettes to those under 18, but Michigan state law does not. With the adoption of Albert’s plan, law enforcement and schools will have a pathway to keeping addictive, unregulated chemicals off campuses.House Bill 4164 now moves to the House Judiciary Committee for further consideration. Categories: Albert Newslast_img read more

READ MORE