Shelburne, VT: Tim Williams of Shelburne has launched Exterus Business Furniture, a contract furniture dealer specializing in office, healthcare and hospitality furniture. Services include sales, customer service, consultation, space planning and design, as well as delivery and installation. Don Gill has been hired as a Sales Representative bringing with him 30 years in the office furnishing industry. Hours of operation: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday thru Friday. 4750 Shelburne Road, Shelburne, VT 05482. 802-383-1770. www.exterusfurniture.com(link is external).
A full-scale haj, which last year drew about 2.5 million pilgrims, appears increasingly unlikely after authorities advised Muslims in late March to defer preparations due to the fast-spreading disease.”It’s a toss-up between holding a nominal haj and scrapping it entirely,” a South Asian official in contact with Saudi haj authorities told AFP.A Saudi official told AFP: “The decision will soon be made and announced.”Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim nation, withdrew from the pilgrimage this month after pressing Riyadh for clarity, with a minister calling it a “very bitter and difficult decision”. Malaysia, Senegal and Singapore followed suit with similar announcements.Many other countries with Muslim populations — from Egypt and Morocco to Turkey, Lebanon and Bulgaria — have said they are still awaiting Riyadh’s decision.In countries like France, faith leaders have urged Muslims to “postpone” their pilgrimage plans until next year due to the prevailing risks.The haj, a must for able-bodied Muslims at least once in their lifetime, represents a major potential source of contagion as it packs millions of pilgrims into congested religious sites.But any decision to limit or cancel the event risks annoying Muslim hardliners for whom religion trumps health concerns.It could also trigger renewed scrutiny of the Saudi custodianship of Islam’s holiest sites — the kingdom’s most powerful source of political legitimacy.A series of deadly disasters over the years, including a 2015 stampede that killed up to 2,300 worshippers, has prompted criticism of the kingdom’s management of the haj.”Saudi Arabia is caught between the devil and the deep blue sea,” Umar Karim, a visiting fellow at the Royal United Services Institute in London, told AFP.”The delay in announcing its decision shows it understands the political consequences of cancelling the haj or reducing its scale.” ‘Heartbroken'”The haj is the most important spiritual journey in the life of any Muslim, but if Saudi Arabia proceeds in this scenario it will not only exert pressure on its own health system,” said Yasmine Farouk from the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.”It could also be widely held responsible for fanning the pandemic.”A cancelled or watered-down haj would represent a major loss of revenue for the kingdom, which is already reeling from the twin shocks of the virus-induced slowdown and a plunge in oil prices.The smaller year-round umrah pilgrimage was already suspended in March.Together, they add $12 billion to the Saudi economy every year, according to government figures.A negative decision would likely disappoint millions of Muslim pilgrims around the world who often invest their life savings and endure long waiting lists to make the trip.”I can’t help but be heartbroken — I’ve been waiting for years,” Indonesian civil servant Ria Taurisnawati, 37, told AFP as she sobbed.”All my preparations were done, the clothes were ready and I got the necessary vaccination. But God has another plan.” Saudi Arabia is expected to scale back or call off this year’s haj pilgrimage for the first time in its modern history, observers say, a perilous decision as coronavirus cases spike.Muslim nations are pressing Riyadh to give its much-delayed decision on whether the annual ritual will go ahead as scheduled in late July.But as the kingdom negotiates a call fraught with political and economic risks in a tinderbox region, time is running out to organize logistics for one of the world’s largest mass gatherings. ‘Buying time’ The kingdom is “buying time” as it treads cautiously, the South Asian official said.”At the last minute if Saudi says ‘we are ready to do a full haj’, [logistically] many countries will not be in a position” to participate, he said.Amid an ongoing suspension of international flights, a reduced haj with only local residents is a likely scenario, the official added.A decision to cancel the haj would be a first since the kingdom was founded in 1932.Saudi Arabia managed to hold the pilgrimage during previous outbreaks of Ebola and MERS.But it is struggling to contain the virus amid a serious spike in daily cases and deaths since authorities began easing a nationwide lockdown in late May.In Saudi hospitals, sources say intensive care beds are fast filling up and a growing number of health workers are contracting the virus as the total number of cases has topped 130,000. Deaths surpassed 1,000 on Monday.To counter the spike, authorities this month tightened lockdown restrictions in the city of Jeddah, gateway to the pilgrimage city of Mecca. Topics :
Versailles, Ind. — Triple A estimates 39.3 million Americans will be traveling this weekend, the highest number since 2005.During the traditional start of the summer season, the Indiana State Police say they’ll increase patrols through the holiday weekend. The patrols will target those who are not properly restrained, impaired and aggressive motorists.Because of the increased traffic volume, troopers offer the following tips:Obey all speed limits and always use your turn signals.Never drink and drive-If celebrating make sure to have a designated driver.Make sure everyone is buckled up and children are properly restrained in child seats.Always watch for and expect slowed or stopped traffic ahead, especially when approaching construction zones.When stopped in traffic be watchful of traffic approaching from behind and be ready to take evasive action if it appears traffic is approaching too fast to stop.If you’re planning to travel a long distance, make sure you are well rested. A fatigued driver is as dangerous as an impaired driver.Avoid tailgating. Remember the two-second rule, and always increase following distance in construction zones.Leave early, expecting heavy traffic, and give yourself extra time to reach your destination.Remember to ALWAYS SLOW DOWN AND MOVE OVER for emergency, utility and highway service vehicles.For more summer travel safety tips please visit http://www.in.gov/isp/2968.htm
RelatedPosts Super Eagles soar on FIFA ranking COVID-19: FIFA count cost to football Russia: Between poison and vaccine, by Gabriel Agbo Former Fifa executives took bribes in return for voting for Russia and Qatar to host the World Cup, according to US prosecutors. In what could be a highly significant twist in the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s long-running investigation into allegations of football corruption, a new indictment was revealed in the US District Court on Monday. The documents claim several former Fifa executive committee members “were offered or received bribes in connection with their votes”. The Department of Justice made allegations against Nicolas Leoz, the former president of South American governing body Conmebol, and ex-Brazil federation supremo Ricardo Teixeira. Both are accused of taking money “in exchange for their votes in favour of Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup”. Disgraced former Fifa vice-president Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago was also allegedly paid £4 million through a host of offshore shell companies to back Russia’s 2018 bid. Russia beat England to win the right to host the most recent World Cup in 2018. Warner was president of the North and Central American and Caribbean confederation Concacaf. Another former Fifa ExCo member – Guatemala football chief Rafael Salguero – was allegedly promised a bribe to vote for Russia. Leoz died last year under house arrest in his native Paraguay, having fought extradition to the US. Teixeira has been banned from the game for life by Fifa for taking bribes for marketing and media rights for football competitions between 2006 and 2012. Teixeira and Warner, who is also banned for life, have avoided extradition to the US. Salguero was banned last year, having admitted corruption. Former executives at US television giant 21st Century Fox have also been charged in the indictment with making payments to South American football officials to secure broadcast rights. “The profiteering and bribery in international soccer have been deep-seated and commonly known practices for decades,” said FBI assistant director-in-charge William Sweeney. “The FBI… are investigating the illicit handshakes and backroom deals hidden in the infrastructure of soccer events, venues and marketing contracts. “The first public charges date back to 2015. This should illustrate to everyone still hoping to score millions corruptly, we’re going to find you.” Almost 10 years have now passed since Fifa controversially voted for Russia and Qatar to host the sport’s showpiece event. But it was only in 2015, following a dramatic dawn raid at a Zurich hotel close to the governing body’s headquarters, that the US Department of Justice announced it was investigating football and TV executives enriching themselves through the game. The scandal sparked the worst crisis in Fifa’s history, with its disgraced president Sepp Blatter eventually standing aside. A total of 42 people have been indicted, with 26 pleading guilty.Tags: briberyCorruptionfbiFederal Bureau of InvestigationFIFAQatarRussiaWorld Cup Hosts
This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text Latest posts by admin (see all) Bio admin BAR HARBOR — The Mount Desert Island YMCA Sharks swim team banquet will be held on April 15 at 6 p.m. at the MDI High School Cafe.All swimmers, family members, and anyone else who wants to can attend the celebration. Volunteers are need to help set up, serve and clean up. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help. Latest Posts House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014 Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015