June 25, 2021
  • 5:29 am Rugby book Review – Once We Were Lions
  • 5:28 am Crusaders missing All Blacks trio
  • 5:27 am Rugby Rant: Abusive tweets have no place in rugby
  • 5:25 am Who should be in and out of the England squad for the Autumn Tests?
  • 7:30 am Committee reaffirms mandatory denominational health plan

first_img to go further March 3, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Government harasses daily newspaper Suara Timor Lorosae November 7, 2013 Find out more Help by sharing this information Timor-LesteAsia – Pacific Timor-LesteAsia – Pacific News Receive email alerts June 23, 2020 Find out more RSF_en Newscenter_img News Follow the news on Timor-Leste Organisation News RWB welcomes creation of press council and code of ethics Reporters Without Borders said it was dismayed by government harassment of privately-owned daily newspaper Suara Timor Lorosae aimed at bringing it into line, after it reported on famine deaths denied by Dili.Prime Minister Mari Alkatiri has taken a series of steps against the paper over several weeks, imposing a boycott, stopping government advertising and banning its journalists from attending official press conferences.He has also attempted to have the newspaper evicted from its offices. President Xanana Gusmao has offered himself as a mediator.”The boycott and threats against privately-owned publications are methods that are unworthy of a democratic government,” said the worldwide press freedom organisation in a letter to Alkatiri.”We urge you to put an end to all the restrictions imposed on Suara Timor Lorosae”.The prime minister imposed an indefinite boycott on the paper on 23 February. Members of the government and officials were ordered to break all contact with the daily’s journalists, not to buy it and not to read it. Its journalists were banned from attending official press conferences.The prime minister also incited people to stop buying the paper. Portuguese news agency Lusa reported him as justifying the boycott by saying, “We have the right to maintain relations with the serious and independent press but not with propagandists who have no objectivity.”The Land and Property department on 3 February ordered the paper’s management to quit within 60 days offices they have occupied in Dili since 1993. This was “an impossible deadline to meet” said deputy publisher and editor in chief Domingos Saldanha, who wondered why the government wanted to recover the building when “there are plenty of empty buildings in the capital”. It was all the more surprising since the daily had proposed a deal, following an earlier eviction threat in September 2003, under which it would pay rent to the state. According to Saldanha, Sergio Viera de Mello, former UN representative in Timor, had suggested reconstruction of the building that had been devastated by pro-Indonesian militia in 1999. The daily resumed publication nine months later, in June 2000, and President Gusmao even attended the inauguration of the premises, rebuilt with international aid.This harassment of the oldest and biggest-selling daily in East Timor is apparently mainly due to the publication of an article, quoting a local official, on the deaths from famine of 53 people in Ainaro district. The government in Dili denies the famine deaths. Domingos Saldanha said the prime minister had called him on the phone to complain to him about these “lies”.Two months earlier, Mari Alkatiri threatened the newspaper’s management after it published statements from a social-democrat politician criticising the sending of aid to tsunami victims.Saldanha said this was a violation of press freedom. “A prime minister should not telephone a journalist to express his discontent as Mari Alkatiri does.” The journalist was received by President Xanana Gusmao who proposed himself as mediator.On the other hand, the speaker of parliament, Francisco Guterres, was pictured on the front page of the 1st March edition of Suara Timor Lorosae next to two of the paper’s journalists. He said it was contrary to the constitution to boycott a newspaper.The paper’s management believes the problems have been partly caused by language problems. “The articles that have caused trouble recently have been published in Indonesian. The prime minister does not speak that language and must have a bad translator”, said Domingos Saldanha. The newspaper is produced in four languages: Tetun, Indonesian, Portuguese and English.The boycott has had far-reaching financial consequences for the newspaper, which has a circulation of 1,500. The management estimates monthly losses at more than 1,500 euros but Saldanha said that he would not give way to pressure, “wherever it comes from.”This harassment comes at a time when a number of voices have been raised to draw attention to the country’s poor governance. The bishop of Dili, Dom Alberto Ricardo da Silva, recently said that the country was suffering from corruption and a lack of openness and the Timorese Nobel peace prize laureat, Carlos Ximense Belo, has publicly expressed his concern about the famine problem. Radio reporter stabbed while working on corruption story Draconian bill would criminalize defamation in Timor-Leste August 13, 2012 Find out morelast_img read more

READ MORE

first_img View post tag: Landing View post tag: Alligator Training & Education February 6, 2012 Landing Craft, Air Cushion (LCAC) vehicles began ensuring amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1) is fit to fight for Exercise Bold Alligator 2012, Feb. 2.The air-cushion hovercraft, which can carry more than a 60-ton payload, are heading from a beachhead in Little Creek, Va., to the open well deck of Wasp and back as they engage in the first part of the exercise, ensuring all personnel and supplies involved in Bold Alligator 2012 are ready to go.“Right now, we’re just ‘cutting across the pond’ performing underway replenishments and onloading Marines,” said Gunnery Sgt. Mark R. Redding, a watch captain aboard USS Wasp. “Without these operations, we can’t transition to the next stage of LCAC ops.”Wasp, the flagship of Bold Alligator 2012, can carry three LCACs in its well deck. Getting them in and out of the deck can by a tricky operation, especially in foul weather, said Chief Gas Turbine System Technician (Electrical) Electrical Ronald L. Bolanowski. As a member of ACU 4, Bolanowski is a craftsman, or pilot, of an LCAC and a member of Assault Craft Unit 4.“You have three different sets of controls you have to master to drive (the LCAC),” said Bolanowski. “After years of experience, it gets a little easier.”Loading the hovercraft requires the joint efforts of Marines and Sailors, to ensure safety and the efficient offload of the landing crafts. Coordination between Marine combat officers, enlisted Marines, ramp marshals, and well deck safety and control personnel led to a successful first evolution of operations, said Boatswain’s Mate 1st Class (SW) Ronald L. Stewart, a well deck safety crew member for Wasp.“Everything went as planned and we look forward to doing the same thing again,” said Stewart.When done supplying Bold Alligator ships with personnel and supplies, LCAC crews and support personnel take on their next evolution, getting the Marines to the beach to “put the fight to the enemy” during the largest naval amphibious exercise of the past 10 years.Bolanowski said the LCAC crews will first perform rehearsal beach assaults in the next few days before taking on the actual exercise Monday.According to the United States Marine Corps, LCACs can cross 70 percent of the world’s coastlines, as opposed to the 15 percent for tradition naval craft. This makes them particularly suited to the joint beach front operations which the Navy and Marine Corps are reemphasizing during Bold Alligator.It’s pretty exciting to take part in an exercise this large, said Bolanowski, who says he’s never been involved in a bigger demonstration of amphibious force. Though there’s pressure to make Bold Alligator a success, Bolanowski said he’s happy to be taking part in it from an LCAC. “It’s the best job in the Navy for an enlisted guy, it cannot get any better,” said Bolanowski. “There’s nowhere in the Navy that they allow an E-7 or above to be in charge of $22 million worth of military equipment. I absolutely love it.”[mappress]Naval Today Staff , February 06, 2012; Image: navy View post tag: Wasp View post tag: Naval View post tag: Vehicles View post tag: craft View post tag: 2012 View post tag: News by topiccenter_img View post tag: Navy View post tag: air View post tag: usa USA: Landing Craft, Air Cushion Vehicles Embark WASP for Bold Alligator 2012 View post tag: Cushion View post tag: Embark Back to overview,Home naval-today USA: Landing Craft, Air Cushion Vehicles Embark WASP for Bold Alligator 2012 View post tag: bold Share this articlelast_img read more

READ MORE