May 13, 2021
  • 5:49 pm Comment: Will the government HR policy please stand up?
  • 5:48 pm Training the labour force
  • 5:47 pm EOC wants dads’ rights extended
  • 5:47 pm Flexibility pays off
  • 5:47 pm HR urged to champion racial cause

“Everybody thought I was combative, thought I was, you know, being aggressive,” Brown said of what the officers claimed of the incident despite the video showing he was not confrontational. “I get mad every time I watch it, you know, ’cause I was defenseless, pretty much.” The 24-year-old’s lawyer, Mark Thomsen, said his client wants the city of Milwaukee to admit wrongdoing. If not, the case will be fought in court. That Brown may not take the payout should come as no surprise, as Thomsen said it’s about more than money. The settlement offer had been approved on Wednesday by the Common Council in a closed session. Now, the clock is ticking as Brown must decide whether to accept it in 14 days, TMJ4 reported. “I fully anticipate that any settlement that doesn’t include an admission that they violated Mr. Brown’s civil rights will go nowhere,” Thomsen told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “We can’t heal in this city without that.” By May 2018, body camera footage of the incident was released. “I think what people overlook and forget is that the city had the video and sat on it,” he told TMJ4. “It was months, and during that time, his name was trashed on the internet.” No charges were filed against Brown, and three officers faced suspensions that ranged from just two days up to 15 days. Remedial professional communications training was ordered for eight other officers, The Associated Press reported. More than a year after Milwaukee Bucks guard Sterling Brown sued the city and local police over claims he was unlawfully and forcefully arrested, the city has approved a $400,000 settlement offer, but his attorney says that may not spell the end of their battle. The compensation proposal is for a lawsuit Brown filed last June alleging that police stunned him with a Taser outside a local Walgreens on Jan. 26, 2018, when he did not immediately do as told and remove his hands from his pockets. The encounter began with one officer confronting Brown over the athlete illegally parking in an accessible parking space. In the suit, Brown alleged one of the officers involved later mockingly tweeted of the NBA player, “Nice meeting Sterling Brown of the Milwaukee Bucks at work this morning! Lol#FearTheDeer.” Brown opened up about the police confrontation on “Good Morning America” last year, saying he “felt like it was unnecessary” that backup officers arrived on the scene. He said he filed a civil suit to “draw attention to it and … be that voice and try to help as many people as I can in this situation.” read more

READ MORE

first_img Recommended for you Bahamas DPM Turnquest, as IDB Governor, Talks Technology and Climate Change Resilience at IDB Conclave Related Items:#magneticmedianews, andrew holness, jamaica, UWi Honour Park Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppJamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness has told students aspiring to university in his country not to let lack of funding stop them.Holness made the remarks yesterday during a ceremony for his induction to the University of the West Indies’ (UWI) Honour Park at the University’s Mona campus in St. Andrew, Jamaica. “Students who want to pursue higher education should never make the financing an obstacle,” said Holness after sharing he began his university career with little to no money.Holness said governments had a role in assisting those students who could not readily afford tertiary education. As Prime Minister, Andrew Holness has been lauded as an advocate for education. He is also a former Minister of Education and responsible for many programs towards making higher education more affordable and accessible. He added that UWI was critical to the growth of the Jamaican economy. Economic growth, according to Holness, is the key to eradicating poverty and inequality in Jamaica.#MagneticMediaNews#UWIHonourPark#HolnessInduction Two boys die, bicycle and van collide in St. Catherine, Jamaica Jamaica’s Senate Begins debate on National Identification and Registration Bill Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

READ MORE

first_img KUSI Newsroom SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A man convicted of sex crimes against children was released from custody and placed in an East County home.Despite public outcry, sexually violent predator Alan James will live in a house in Jacumba Hot Springs.A judge had ordered James be released from custody by April 25th.Alan Earl James, 56, was convicted in 1981 and 1986 of numerous sex-related felonies involving several minor victims — which included James’ younger relatives– and sentenced to 28 years in state prison.James, who is classified as a “sexually violent predator,” was committed to Coalinga State Hospital, where he was undergoing treatment “for an indeterminate term,” until he petitioned for a monitored conditional release last summer, prosecutors said.RELATED:  Hearing held to determine placement of convicted sex offender Alan James Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom, Posted: April 11, 2019 Alan James placed in Jucumba Hot Springs home April 11, 2019last_img read more

READ MORE