As the Police, through community relations initiatives, continue to work to reduce youth inactivity and crime, 71 students are now certified in technical areas by the Leonora Technical and Vocational Skill Training Centre.This year’s batch received certificates in a number of areas, namely: data operations, general office administration, motor vehicle works, carpentry, electrical installation, welding and fabrication, metal work engineering and Information Technology.At the award ceremony at the Vocational Centre on Tuesday, acting Police Commissioner David Ramnarine praised the students for their outstanding achievements, cautioning that a lack of reading and reasoning skills has contributed to an uptick in crime.He posited that one’s youth was the prime period during which one should capitalise on opportunities.“If you can’t make the best of your opportunity and make the best of your youth, you will simply pass through life [as] a basin of water,” the acting Police Commissioner expressed.He also appealed to parents, stating that they have “every responsibility” to ensure that their children attain an adequate education.In his closing remarks, Ramnarine told the students that they should embrace a “positive attitude” in moving to their future paths.“To become someone, that one in a million; to stand out [and] be a good example in your community, to your family and the country, you have to have a positive attitude… you will be on the path of becoming a better person [in] equipping yourself to make a better contribution [to society],” the Acting Commissioner encouraged.Meanwhile, Commander Stephen Mansell, who initiated the technical and vocational programme in the region, noted that it was part of the Community Relations Programme that enlisted requisite stakeholders to reduce crime. These stakeholders include the Regional Democratic Council (RDC), the business community and members of the public.“Our intention is to transform Region Three through community relations,” he stated, and observed that Amerindian communities, like Bonasika, and others should continue to benefit from the initiatives. Mansell also expressed the view that the work of the Leonora institute has aided in reducing the number of youth “hanging out on the street”.Principal of the Training Centre, Eon Nickelson, posited that the programme, which started in 2015, was established to give youths in Region Three (Essequibo Islands-West Demerara) the necessary training to “add to Guyana”. Although the number of graduates this year declined from last year’s figure of 94 to 71, the Principal pointed that enrolment for the next academic year was encouraging.This year’s outstanding students included Rannie Martin in the motor vehicle works programme, Tyrese Trats in carpentry and Kerry Sookra in welding and fabrication. Annette Sumbir was adjudged Best Graduating Student, as well as Best Performing Metal Work Engineering Student.The centre caters to students in the Region Three area, and the programme is collaboration between the Education Ministry and Guyana Police Force D Division (West Demerara-East Bank Essequibo). This year’s graduating class ranged from ages 16-21. Additionally, mature students also enrolled in some programmes.
George Groves will face Mohamed Ali Ndiaye for the European super-middleweight title at Wembley Arena on Saturday 16 March.Groves, the Commonwealth champion, will be competing for the EBU crown recently vacated by his arch-rival and fellow West Londoner James DeGale.The Italy-based Ndiaye was due to face DeGale before the Harlesden man opted to give up the belt.Groves said: “I’ve won the British and Commonwealth titles and the European is the next step for me towards the world title.“The guy is tough and awkward. James DeGale didn’t want to fight him, but I’ve got the tools to beat him.”Promoter Frank Warren has won the purse bids to stage the fight and Groves will appear on a show which includes world champions Ricky Burns and Nathan Cleverly.Scotland’s Burns, who has the WBO lightweight title, will be involved in a mouthwatering unification showdown against IBF champion Miguel Vazquez of Mexico.Finchley heavyweight Dereck Chisora, currently banned following an infamous brawl with David Haye, is also likely to appear on the bill if his reapplication for a British Boxing Board of Control license is successful.Groves, 24, stopped Paul Smith in two rounds at Wembley Arena in November 2011.He was last in action in December, when he extended his unbeaten record by comprehensively beating former world champion Glen Johnson on points at the ExCel Arena.The 33-year-old Ndiaye, who was born in Senegal, has lost only one of his 23 professional fights.“It’s a great show to be on alongside Cleverly, Burns and Chisora and it will be a fantastic night in London,” Groves added.Warren said: “It’s the best of British all in one night of big fights.“Groves has the chance to add the European title to his collection and has a tough fight against Ndiaye.“The show will be backed up with an action packed undercard with some of the best in young British talent.”See also:DeGale opts to give up European titleGroves set to fight for European title Groves lining up world title challengeTrio in action on Groves’ Wembley bill The press conference to announce Groves’ Wembley returnGroves warned ahead of title showdownTrainer Booth discusses George Groves’ European title fightGroves ready to add European belt to his title 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 Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Tags:#Events Guide#web ReadWrite Sponsors We’re always on the lookout for upcoming Web tech events from around world. Know of something taking place that should appear here? Want to get your event included in the calendar? Let us know in the comments below or email us. Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Related Posts 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market
Is AI Really a Threat to Traditional Jobs? The Significant Role of Smartphones in Human Lives Related Posts Tags:#App#app building#app development#gamification#kid-friendly gaming They might not look much alike, but smartphones are tools just like axes and hammers: They can build, but they can also destroy. A student can use her smartphone to study for a test, but she can also use it as a replacement for social interaction. It’s that second kind of smartphone use that concerns companies like Mappen. Because appmakers are incentivized to maximize retention, many use gamification, in-app purchases, and design tricks to keep users engaged. Although those techniques may not harm adults, a growing body of research shows that they endanger the mental health of children and teens. Addiction, believe it or not, may not be too strong of a word: Pew Research Center found that teens feel a variety of negative emotions, from anxious (42%) to lonely (25%), when separated from their phones. Even when they have their phones, though, they feel uncomfortable, with 90% claiming excessive online time is a problem in their age group.For better or worse, teens aren’t about to stop using digital devices. Rather than turn parents into the smartphone police, software companies should be more responsible in how they build and market their products to teens. Essentials of Kid-Friendly AppsKids and teens don’t know to treat apps, and social apps in particular, with the caution they deserve. To build an app that’s safe for them:1. Limit gamification.When an app like Candy Crush plays an exciting noise and awards you a badge for completing a level, it’s downright difficult to not click through to the next one. You may know when it’s time to take a break, but you can’t assume kids and teens have the same sense of responsibility. What if your boss won’t let you cut out gamification completely? Build in a break reminder. Although multiple standalone apps offer the functionality, few social networking or entertainment apps do. Differentiate yours while doing good for the world by incorporating one. 2. Avoid in-app purchases.Another potentially addictive element in apps is purchased content. Young children, in particular, don’t understand the idea that they can spend real money in virtual games. “Black hat” designers can and do take advantage of that innocence, but those gains never last long. Parents inevitably learn about the purchases, at which point they delete the app. If you must offer in-app purchases in apps for children, make the opt-in process obvious and adult-oriented. Let the parents decide whether the added value is worth the extra dollar.3. Segment communication channels.If your app has a chat feature — even if it’s limited to those in a certain game or room — be sure to segment minors from adults. Although some apps use algorithms to check for inappropriate comments or requests, filters only go so far. Instead, take your cue from social network Yubo. Not only does Yubo confirm the age of its users, requiring those between the ages of 13 and 17 to get their parents’ permission, but it also provides separate chat spaces for minors and adults. Anything less is an open door to predators. 4. Don’t collect data unnecessarily. Because adults are consumers, companies are champing at the bit to gain all the insights they can about how those adults shop and spend. But time and time again, those data stores are breached by people looking to sell or steal the information inside. Not only do companies have comparably little to gain by collecting demographic and usage data about children, but they put both themselves and those kids at risk. When TeenSafe, an app parents use to track their teenagers, suffered a breach last year that exposed the data of minors, the media wasn’t kind. Had a child been abducted, TeenSafe may have been legally liable as well. Apps for children shouldn’t just be simpler versions of apps for adults. Kids use their phones to connect, explore, and grow. They deserve safe spaces to do. As you design your app for kids, keep safety and simplicity top of mind. Remote Working Culture: The Facts Business Owne… Brad is the editor overseeing contributed content at ReadWrite.com. He previously worked as an editor at PayPal and Crunchbase. You can reach him at brad at readwrite.com. 5 Trendy Gift Ideas for the Secret Santa Exchan… Brad AndersonEditor In Chief at ReadWrite
West Ham make contact for Inter Milan defender Joao Mirandaby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWest Ham are eyeing Inter Milan defender Joao Miranda.Corriere dello Sport says West Ham have jumped into the battle for the Brazil international, 34.Miranda has been told he can leave Inter this month and he is in talks with interested clubs.Roma are keen to take the veteran on-loan, while the Hammers would be prepared to pay a fee to buy him outright.Inter want €20m to see the centre-half. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Arsenal midfielder Miguel Azeez signs first pro contractby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal midfielder Miguel Azeez has signed his first professional contract.The 17-year-old joined at the age of five and has progressed through the academy ranks. His impressive work ethic has helped him to secure a professional contract.Azeez made eight appearances during the under-18s’ title-winning 2018/19 season, scoring twice and assisting twice. He already has one goal in five Under-18 Premier League appearances this season and made his debut for the under-23s against Derby in the Premier League 2 in August.An England international, Azeez has proven himself at under-17 level, scoring 12 goals in 14 appearances for his country.
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Phelan admits Man Utd return had him nervousby Paul Vegas5 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveMike Phelan admits returning to Manchester United had him nervous.Phelan, who was Sir Alex Ferguson’s right-hand man during three Premier League title wins, left Old Trafford six years ago following the Scot’s retirement.He said: “I never wanted to leave in the first place. I had left the club, I think we had won the league by 12 points, so I thought going back was terrific but I was really nervous on the first day I went back in because I didn’t know what to expect.“But I walked in the place and it was like I had never been away.“It was really surreal, a lot had gone on but nothing had changed and I’d never been away. I felt right at home.”
APTN National NewsAPTN Investigates reporter Kathleen Martens talks to anchor Dana Foster about the court order that’s holding up more than 50 IAP cases.
Brendan Rodgers revealed the shock and stress of being fired by Liverpool caused him to end up in hospitalThe Northen Irishman coached Liverpool for three years and in the 2013/14 season he won the club’s first Manager of the Year award in 20 years after leading them to a second-place finish in the Premier League.Rodgers was soon awarded a new four-year contract at Anfield, but things soon began to fall apart with Liverpool finishing down in sixth the following season before he was fired on October 2015 after a 1-1 draw against Everton.While the 45-year-old was immediately offered a new job the day after being dismissed, Rodgers needed a timeout before an unexpected hospital visit came his way.“I took the call on the Sunday evening, after the Merseyside derby,” Rodgers told The Coaches’ Voice.“The owners felt they needed to make a change. I accepted the decision, and from that point I was no longer the Liverpool manager.“On the Monday, I was offered another job. But I had always felt that I wanted to go in, where I could, at the beginning of a season.“On top of that, I needed the recovery. Needed to get away. Liverpool had been an emotional rollercoaster.Liverpool legend Nicol slams Harry Maguire’s Man United form Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Steve Nicol believes Harry Maguire has made some “horrendous mistakes” recently, and has failed to find his best form since joining Manchester United.“At such a huge club, one of the great clubs of the world, even the good days are difficult. I enjoyed every single minute of it, but it had taken a toll.“I went to Spain for a week. Then I came back, and flew to Dubai. Within a couple of days in Dubai, I was rushed into hospital.“I went through all the tests. It was felt that I was having some issues internally, but then they got into the process of what had happened with work, with my life.“They pieced it all together, and it was simply a case of my body being so tense, so tight, from all that had happened in finishing my time at Liverpool.“It reminded me of the pressures you experience, and the expectations you carry, as a manager. Especially at the bigger clubs.“It reinforced for me that it was time to find a calmness, to re-energise and make sure I was genuinely ready for the next challenge.”Rodgers is now the manager of Scottish Premiership side Celtic and has led them to two league titles and Scottish Cups along with three Scottish League Cups.
BALURGHAT: Police have arrested a youth on charges alleged rape of a class X student at Basuria village of Pransagar under Gangarampur police station in South Dinajpur district on Monday.Police arrested the youth named Abdul Kader (22).The victim was admitted to Gangarampur sub-divisional hospital after her condition deteriorated. A medical test of the victim has already been done. Police said the victim met the accused on her way back home from her uncle’s house on Monday afternoon.The accused asked her to spend some time with him. He took her to a nearby footbridge where he allegedly raped her. He left the girl who became unconscious. Locals took her to a hospital where she narrated the whole story and told the name of the accused.A large contingent of police has been sent to maintain peace. There was tension in the area after the news spread. Locals have demanded stringent action of the accused.