18 July 2008South African petrochemical company Sasol and Mozambican state-owned energy company Empresa Naçional de Hidrocarbonetos have finalised drilling and towing contracts to pursue their hydrocarbon exploration project off the Mozambican coast.The two have signed a lease agreement for a mobile offshore drilling unit with Transocean Offshore International Ventures, while two towing and anchor handling vessels to support the rig will be supplied by the Varun Shipping Company.The rig and vessels are expected to arrive in Mozambique towards the end of August, with drilling operations expected to start in the third quarter of 2008.“The drilling of explorations wells will take place in deep water, well away from the shallow environmentally sensitive waters of the Bazaruto Archipelago,” Sasol International Energy Cluster group GM Lean Strauss said in a statement this week.“Safety and protection of the environment will be key to the drilling exploration program that is expected to be completed by year end.”Concession holdersSasol Petroleum Sofala Limitada and Empresa Naçional de Hidrocarbonetos are the concession holders of Blocks 16 and 19 offshore Mozambique. The exploration area covers about 11 000 square kilometres and is directly opposite Sasol’s existing onshore gas operations at Pande and Temane.“The drilling campaign is a further demonstration of our commitment to upstream development in Mozambique and the technical and commercial ability of Sasol to execute upstream exploration projects,” said Strauss.“We recently completed our seismic operation in the two blocks incident free and with no impact on the environment.”Should the drilling campaign be successful, Sasol intends to supply the natural gas to markets in Mozambique and South Africa.SAinfo reporter Would you like to use this article in your publicationor on your website?See: Using SAinfo material
20 February 2014 The South African government is to look into the possibility of legalising the medical use of marijuana, Public Service and Administration Minister Lindiwe Sisulu said during the second day of parliamentary debate on President Jacob Zuma’s State of the Nation address in Cape Town on Wednesday. The followed a special plea to Zuma by Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) MP Mario Oriani-Ambrosini, who was last year diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, to consider making it legal in South Africa to use marijuana for medical reasons, saying not to do so would be a “crime against humanity”. While tempers often flare in Parliament during fiery debates between the ruling African National Congress (ANC) and opposition parties, Ambrosini’s moving address drew a standing ovation from all members of the house. Ambrosini said that decriminalising marijuana for medical use would not only help millions of South Africans who were suffering from his condition, but would also contribute to transforming the country’s health sector. “Mr President, you have known me for 20 years … I am speaking to you today somehow a changed man, not to curse you, but to plead with you to provide a voice for many people with my condition.” Sisulu, responding a short while later, said: “Mr Ambrosini, I have worked with you for many years and it hurts me to see you in the state that you are in. I had a word, as you were speaking, with [Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi], and he indicates to me we are really keen to follow up on the discussion and research around the world on the issue of the potential of decriminalising medical marijuana. We are a caring society.” Addressing the house earlier, Motsoaledi said South Africa had successfully rolled out an HIV/Aids campaign that was being modelled around the world, and would do the same, going forward, with other diseases. He said a new war had been declared on cervical cancer. According to statistics, cervical cancer affects over 6 000 women annually, with just over half of these cases resulting in death. Motsoaledi said 80% of cervical cancer victims were African women and that the disease was more likely to affect women who were HIV-positive. It is propagated by a virus called the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). “Honourable Speaker, Human Papilloma Virus has a vaccine. It is called the HPV vaccine. The World Health Organisation advises us to vaccinate sexually naive young girls. “I am happy to announce that we are ready to vaccinate young girls against this disease from March this year. We shall vaccinate all the grade 4 learners in public schools. This will then happen every subsequent year in our schools – it will be a feature of any grade 4 class from this year and forever.” Source: SAnews.gov.za
Things, however, have changed this Season 80 in the UAAP with the fifth year Tamaraw thrust into the role of FEU’s go-to offensive weapon.While his numbers have seen a significant rise, the transition hasn’t been drastic after all for Dennison.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“I was already practicing as the go-to-guy even in the offseason, I was practicing my offensive game because I can’t just be a defensive guy anymore,” said Dennison in Filipino Wednesday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.For the first two games, Dennison has been FEU’s leading scorer averaging 18.5 points on an impressive 62.96 percent shooting. LATEST STORIES View comments For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Duterte hands out cash incentives to 2017 SEA Games medalists Read Next E.T. returns to earth, reunites with grown-up Elliott in new ad Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president MOST READ Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netFor most of his career in the UAAP, Ron Dennison had been either a benchwarmer or a glue guy.Dennison was never the person to carry the offense for Far Eastern University as he only averaged 2.1 points per game average in his first four seasons.ADVERTISEMENT His 21-point game against La Salle was also a career-high.Dennison said he wasn’t surprised that he has been putting up gaudy numbers in the offensive end while retaining his defensive duties because he prepared for that in the off-season.“I was ready that I would become one of the team’s main scorers,” said Dennison, whos also averaging 1.5 steals and 0.5 blocks per game. “That was already my mindset starting last semester. My defense is always there, that should always be there because I always give my energy when I’m on the floor.”ADVERTISEMENT WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary
Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH The Warriors have 12 players back, including all five starters. But they don’t have their shooting touch yet, going 4 of 33 from deep. Their four All-Stars were a dismal 1 for 19.NBA Finals MVP Durant scored 10 points in nearly 24 minutes, Curry had 11 in the NBA’s preseason opener.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutLater Saturday in Southern California, Lonzo Ball made his highly anticipated Lakers debut in Anaheim against the Timberwolves, playing their first game with All-Star Jimmy Butler. Ball’s first basket was a 3-pointer with 3:47 left in the first quarter.Warriors and Nuggets players stood through the national anthem, a week after President Donald Trump rescinded his White House invitation to Curry and his team. Warriors coach Steve Kerr indicated before the game he didn’t expect any kind of protest. Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Martinez fails to qualify for 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight “It wasn’t a discussion or a decision,” Draymond Green said. “We said what we had to say. Everybody knows where we stand. We don’t need to do anything else to show where we stand. Everyone knows where we stand.”Lakers and Wolves players stood with arms locked during their anthem.Paul Millsap had 22 points and 11 rebounds in his first game for Denver. Nikola Jokic added 12 points and six rebounds, making 7 of 10 free throws. Emmanuel Mudiay had 19 points and six assists off the bench.Kerr only planned to use his starters 20-25 minutes with an international trip ahead. The Warriors were set to leave Sunday for China, where they will play a pair of preseason games against Minnesota.Golden State rookie Jordan Bell had a nice alley-oop dunk in the third quarter from Green, who received his Defensive Player of the Year trophy from Ben Wallace just before tipoff.ADVERTISEMENT Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City “It’s just from last year, working on things from last year,” Popovich said. “It’s gone a little more slowly than we thought.” Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday PLAY LIST 03:12Kevin Durant out with Achilles injury; to undergo MRI on Tuesday01:43Who are Filipinos rooting for in the NBA Finals?02:25Raptors or Warriors? PBA players take their pick of NBA champ01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games New Warriors forward Omri Casspi was away from the team for the Jewish high holiday of Yom Kippur, and so was analytics guru Sammy Gelfand.“I talked to him a couple days ago. Sammy Gelfand also will not be here tonight as he observes the holiday as well,” Kerr said. “Whatever each person needs to do then obviously we afford them that right. It’s an important holiday for people of the Jewish faith. Omri has our full support.”Golden State played a September game for the first time since facing Portland on Sept. 30, 1980, in Seattle. This marks the Warriors’ third trip to China after playing there previously in 2008 against Milwaukee and ’13 against the Lakers.REMEMBERING HAMBLENKerr fondly remembered Frank Hamblen, who died Saturday at age 70. A moment of silence was held before the Lakers tipped off.Hamblen won seven NBA championships as an assistant to Phil Jackson in Los Angeles and Chicago. The Lakers said Hamblen died in Del Mar. They did not provide a cause of death.“He was my assistant coach in Chicago, a good friend and great coach. He will be missed,” Kerr said before the game. “He was just a good coach, good guy. I would see him in San Diego summertime. … He was funny, he was a great basketball mind. I still remember when Frank came to the Bulls, we had basically the whole team back and the first day of camp Michael Jordan said, ‘Our motivation this year is to get a ring for Frank.’ He was new that year. He said, ‘Everybody else in this room has a ring but Frank doesn’t have one so we’re going to get you one this year’ and we did — thanks to me and Michael.”LEONARD SIDELINEDSan Antonio star Kawhi Leonard will miss the entire preseason while rehabbing an injury to his right quadriceps and the Spurs don’t have a timetable for his return.Coach Gregg Popovich told reporters in San Antonio that the thigh has bothered Leonard since the playoffs. The two-time All-Star and two-time Defensive Player of the Year has been rehabbing since the season ended. Denver Nuggets’ Will Barton (5) looks to pass away from Golden State Warriors’ JaVale McGee, left, during the first half of a preseason NBA basketball game Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, in Oakland, Calif. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)OAKLAND, Calif. — Kevin Durant drove through the paint for a quick one-handed slam. Stephen Curry dazzled with his dribbling and pulled up for quick 3-pointers that weren’t quite as accurate as usual.The Golden State Warriors still looked like the dominant team they were in winning a championship just a few months ago, even in a 108-102 preseason loss to Denver on Saturday night.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next View comments LATEST STORIES
Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, says the heritage experience in Falmouth is being leveraged to enhance the town as a major destination for cruise-ship and stopover visitors. Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, says the heritage experience in Falmouth is being leveraged to enhance the town as a major destination for cruise-ship and stopover visitors.He noted that the rich history of the town, with the Georgian architecture and various attractions, makes the Falmouth capital “a wonderful tourism asset”.The Minister was speaking at the ceremony to break ground for the new Ocean Coral Spring Hotel in Falmouth on February 6.He noted that the Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF) has spent some $385.2 million on rehabilitation and beautification projects in Falmouth, inclusive of renovation of the Trelawny Parish Church, the Falmouth Post Office, Falmouth Courthouse and Water Square; streetscape improvements at Market Street, Harbour Lane and Falmouth Street; as well as rehabilitation of heritage buildings and the Jewish Cemetery as part of the Falmouth Heritage District.“In addition, we have another $629.3 million in projects on stream, inclusive of the artisan village at the old Hampden Wharf. We look forward to the completion of Ocean Coral Spring, which will strengthen Falmouth’s appeal as a destination by expanding its hotel offerings and raising the town’s room count,” the Minister said.Ocean Coral Spring Hotel is a 1,000-room property being developed by the Spanish Hotel chain, H10.The developers are investing US$250 million in the project and the first 500 rooms are expected to be completed by the end of the year. H10 operates 50 hotels in 18 destinations. The Minister was speaking at the ceremony to break ground for the new Ocean Coral Spring Hotel in Falmouth on February 6. He noted that the rich history of the town, with the Georgian architecture and various attractions, makes the Falmouth capital “a wonderful tourism asset”. Story Highlights
UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Orlando Bloom has called for greater protection for tens of thousands of refugee and migrant children as they continue their journeys to seek safety in Europe.Orlando Bloom greets a child at the refugee and migrants reception centre near the town of Gevgelija, close to the border with Greece.Credit/Copyright: UNICEF/NYHQ2015-2523/Georgiev Orlando today met children during a visit to a refugee and migrant reception centre near Gevgelija in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, at the border with Greece. He listened to stories of their perilous journeys, their concerns and hopes for the future. Many of them have escaped violence in Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq. ”These children have travelled through one of the deadliest refugee and migrant routes in the world. I talked to children who endured terrifying journeys, often in extreme weather conditions and for many, walking in the only shoes and clothes they have. They are being shuttled from one authority to another, crossing numerous borders, uncertain of the risks ahead. If they arrive safely at their final destination, they still fear an uncertain future. We need to protect and support them,” Bloom said. Tarek, 17, from Syria was among the many children and young people Orlando met. He spoke about the terror of the boat trip from Turkey to Greece and about the pain of leaving his entire family in Damascus. Like many unaccompanied minors on the move in Europe, he is traveling with another Syrian family he met after saving their ten year old daughter Yaraman from drowning during the perilous journey. While Tarek praised the humanity of the support staff at the child friendly space to Bloom, he also expressed his deep distress and despair of not knowing what the future holds for him.“Europe is facing one of its greatest crises in recent times as people are fleeing the areas of conflicts which are left unresolved. We must provide services in countries where children are on the move, and in countries of origin and destination, for play, healthcare and protection. We must put children’s best interests at the heart of our action and ensure families are kept together throughout their journey. We cannot fail these children,” said Rajae Msefer Berrada, Deputy Representative for UNICEF in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.Earlier scenes of chaos at the border have now greatly improved. However, a large number of people, including children and women, are not being registered at the border. This raises concerns that those who need help may not have access to the services that they need. At the reception centre near Gevgelija, children now have access to a safe place to rest, play and receive food and water, warm clothes, sanitation and the hygiene and protection services that they need through UNICEF-supported services.Nearly 100,000 people – with one third women and children – have been registered at the border at Gevgelija since June this year. As the crisis continues to grow, UNICEF estimates that as many as 320,000 women and children fleeing to Europe could be in need to assistance over the next six months.