New Delhi: The NGT-appointed Yamuna Monitoring Committee has directed the Delhi Jal Board to furnish a list of unauthorised colonies, along with their population, not covered under the utility’s Interceptor Sewer Project (ISP) by July 15. It warned that if the DJB failed to do so, the matter will be raised before the National Green Tribunal.The DJB is in the process of installing “interceptor sewers” that will help reduce pollution in the Yamuna. Officials say 97 per cent of the work has been completed. Also Read – Bangla Sahib Gurudwara bans use of all types of plastic itemsEarlier, sewage water from unauthorised colonies would run directly into the three main drains in the city –Najafgarh, supplementary and Shahadra –that flow into the river. The ISP blocks waste water from unauthorised colonies and diverts it to nearby sewage treatment plants (STPs) that releases the treated effluent into the main drains, reducing pollution in the Yamuna. “With regard to trapping of 108 drains under the ISP, the monitoring committee repeated a direction that had not been responded to for over 9 months. Information had been sought about the precise number of colonies and households that the ISP will cover…,” read the minutes of a meeting conducted by the monitoring committee last month. “The colonies left out of the ISP coverage and their population should also be given to show what remained to be trapped among the 1,797 unauthorised colonies,” it said. The DJB should also tell which colony’s sewage will be diverted to which STP, the monitoring committee said. The DJB CEO has been asked to furnish related information in a “comprehensible manner by July 15,” the monitoring committee said.
The government’s announcement comes after China barred canola shipments from two of Canada’s biggest exporters in what is considered retaliation for the detention of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.China imported $2.7 billion worth of Canadian canola seed last year, and any prolonged blockage will hurt farmers, the industry and the broader economy. The seeds are the raw input for canola oil, used in cooking and industry. LNG boss says China welcomes our natural gas, tensions with Canada not an issue Bad news for Canadian farmers: China’s canola imports set to drop even more than they have already Canadian soybean exports to China jumped 80% last year. Now farmers are getting nervous International Trade Diversification Minister Jim Carr said he will lead a canola trade mission to Japan and South Korea in early June to help farmers find new markets for their products.He also said he will be promoting canola in all of his upcoming visits, including in France.“The Canadian government stands with farming families, our farming communities and industry,” Carr said. “We will not rest until this situation is resolved for our Canadian producers, workers, and their communities.”Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer has called for the federal government to take a more confrontational approach with China.Scheer wants Canada to appoint a new ambassador to China, launch a complaint about the canola dispute with the World Trade Organization and cut Canadian funding to China’s Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank, to which the government has committed $256 million over five years.Citing unproven concerns about pests, China has rejected Canadian canola seed shipments in recent months.There is agreement across the sector, including with provincial governments and producers, that Canada should engage China on the basis of their allegation, Carr said.“The basis of their allegation is that there are impurities in canola that has been sent by Canada to China and has been inspected twice by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency,” he said. “We continue to seek engagement; we are engaging.”Canada will work through this challenging period with China through careful, deliberate and strategic engagement, Carr added, but will also look for alternative buyers for its experts.“It is critical that Canadian exporters have other readily available markets when faced with trade disruptions,” he said. “Our country’s continued prosperity and job creation depends on security markets abroad.”With files from Andy Blatchford Canadian Press/Sean Kilpatrick OTTAWA — The federal government is changing a payment program for canola farmers to help those affected by China’s decision to ban the Canadian product.The maximum loan limit through the program will be boosted to $1 million from $400,000, and the portion that will be interest-free is rising to $500,000 from $100,000, Agriculture Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau said on Parliament Hill Wednesday morning.“We stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Canada’s canola producers and farm families across the country and we will continue to listen to their needs,” she said.“Canada has the best canola in the world as well as a very robust inspection system.”Jim Carr, Minister of International Trade Diversification and Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food provide an update on the government’s response to the canola trade dispute with China on Wednesday.